Recreation & Fitness
Senior Citizens can benefit in many ways from an active and healthy lifestyle. Studies show that daily exercise can help with the following:
- Improved quality of sleep. Those who perform regular exercise sleep more easily and deeply.
- Greater social interaction. Exercise helps release endorphins which make people feel more contented and happier. Exercising with a friend is fun!
- Prevention of Alzheimer disease and dementia. Exercise improves brain functionality and helps combat diseases. It also assists with fighting forms of depression.
- Weight loss. Regular activity for the elderly helps reduce excess weight, especially if done in conjunction with a calorie-controlled diet.
- Assists joints. Building the muscles around certain joints is an important seniors exercise. For example, building the muscles around the knee through leg extensions helps prevent joints being worn away.
- Immunity to viruses and infections. The body is better placed to fight off sickness so recovery time is reduced.